Tuesday 26 March 2013

D.I.Y ... Stacking shelves and shoes

Long time...but after a very relaxing seaweed bath I was inspired to do a little D.I.Y and put some shelves up in my bedroom. 


I am sure I am not alone when I admit to having over 30 pairs of shoes (not including boots) so a gal needs plenty of space to store them all.  We all know a girls best friend are Diamonds, but along with her daddy, her triple D is 'D.I.Y'.


Marilyn singing 'Diamonds are a girls best friend' from the film 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'.


I sometimes forget what shoes I actually own because they are hidden at the back of the closet in boxes.  If they are on display then they will be worn more often.  I had written on my 'To do list' - get some shelving for shoes.  In what will be another blog post I was given over 8 drawers from a linen factory that was closing down in Belfast, these were perfect to display and store my shoes.



Every girl should have one of these!


I have to be truthful here....

I called my dad :)


Heres me and my dad in the 70's at the caravan in Newcastle...great memories!


My dad is a D.I.Y wiz-kid.  He worked as a butcher all his life but I think DIY has always been one of his big hobbies.  My mum is very lucky...



The guy in the picture is NOT my dad!!



So with tools in hand: nails, hammer and a spirit level I found a wall in my bedroom with nothing on it!!  ... These things are pretty hard to come by these days after being in my house for 8 years!



Blank, but not for long.




Up go the drawers  note the handles on the side.  Dad made the dividers.  A lick of wood stain, and a few hours drying time and the shelves were ready to be anointed with shoes.




First shelf filled.  Thats 3 pairs and counting.




4, 5, 6, 7...



8, 9 , 10, 11...


12,13,14...


15,16,17 (the bottom pair have already been counted)


18,19


and 20!  These lace up Gladiator style stilettos are strung up through the drawer handle.


The finished shoe shelving.  I can still spot a place for a very low shoe...can you?!


I don't often get the chance to wear heels, but I am going to make sure that these superstars get a night out on the town very soon.


This DIY project took me 30 minutes to put up.  My dad took a good few hours making me the inner shelves, thanks Dad!  Many thanks also to Peter of 'Copeland Linens' Belfast for the drawer donations.



Until again, happy DIY-ing

Christine x

















No comments:

Post a Comment